Monday, July 2, 2018

CPR, Family Photos, Brunch, Gear, and Vaccines

This past weekend was fairly busy. 

I have taken CPR/first aid courses several times in the last 20 years, since I work with kids. Every time I take a course, something has changed. It used to be very complicated, and you had to remember lots of different things. Every time I take it, they have simplified something, based on research and to cut down on what you need to try to remember, in an actual emergency. 

This past weekend, I took one mostly geared towards parents and carers of infants and children, as a refresher. It is much more disconcerting as a parent, because you're forced to imagine your own child in all these horrible, life-threatening situations. They also remind you of all the ways children can drown, choke, get injured, or stop breathing. Anyway, I'm glad I took the course, but I wouldn't say it was fun.

Saturday evening, we took family photos at Bronte Beach. PJ had a poo-splosion all over her cute outfit in the first five minutes, so most of the photos are of her in her backup bear suit. You know, there bear in its natural habitat, the ocean. 



The above photo was just taken by phone, after the real shoot was over. If that one came out that good, we can't wait to see what the real ones - done with the professional camera and touched up - look like. If we like how they come out, I'll recommend our photographer. 

Sunday, we had brunch with two other frisbee families at Camperdown Commons. It was really great because there is lots of room for the kids to play in the fresh air, while still being in a fenced-in and safe place where you can keep an eye on them. PJ isn't big enough to wander by herself yet, but two of the kids with us were. They were very cute playing with her, and she loved it, of course. She's a little social butterfly.

Our friend who was there, who we have referred to as our "Kuhl dealer", brought us some more womens' clothing samples, so I acquired five good quality pieces of outdoor clothing for free, and it's nice to know that they will last for years. I could have taken more, but I'm trying to get rid of some of the stuff I already have. This same friend also hooked us up with an amazing Osprey baby carrier that we just love. We feel very lucky to be gifted really great gear, and we'll have to pay it forward when it gets outgrown. 

So, that was the weekend. PJ got her 4 month vaccines this morning. I feel so deceptive when I'm sitting there smiling at her, knowing full well they are about to stick her with some needles. She was a champ and only cried a short time, and she bounced back fairly quickly. I'm sure she'll be a cranky wreck later, though. It's good for her in the long run, and that's what matters. Unfortunately, her doctor has let the practice and we will have to find another one there that we like. It's hard to find a GP who is good with babies and kids.  

...And I can hear her slowly waking up now. My free time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment