Saturday, February 22, 2014

One More Time (...we're gonna celebrate, oh yeah, alright...)

I received lots of nice birthday messages this year, which is pretty key when you're far away from most of your friends and family. My previous co-teacher sent me a sound bite of all the kids in my class singing me "Happy Birthday" off-key, which was a pretty awesome surprise. 

Michael and I had dinner at my new favorite local restaurant: Mickey's Cafe.




The place was packed with locals (usually a good sign), but not so packed we couldn't find a table. The atmosphere is relaxed and they have boardgames to play while you're waiting for your food. My favorite, favorite thing we had was the dessert: Nutella and banana toastie. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, my real birthday if you go by American time, Michael surprised me with an elaborate "whereigo", which is an interactive scavenger hunt that one needs a GPS device to complete. I had to first find several envelopes hidden in our apartment and then bike to different locations in the city completing little tasks to collect little gifts. Michael would periodically disappear and reappear like Batman, and we had some gelato along the way. The adventure culminated in us riding the ferry to Luna Park where we had dinner and went on rides while the sun set. And Michael claims he is not creative.

 It's pretty common for fast food places to have collectible toys that come with their meals. For some reason at Luna Park the current toys they have are relatively large Game of Thrones Action figures (you can see in the picture how large it is compared to Michael, not the size of your typical Happy Meal toy), and they come with pretty big meals (not kid-sized meals). I'm confused by this marketing, but enjoy it. It's funny to look over at a table of three little girls sharing a meal next to their new action figure that, little do they know, is from a show with tons of gratuitous violence and sex.




I wanted Jon Snow, but we also got Robb Stark. Maybe next time.






Ferris wheel view of the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.







They also have sexy/creepy clowns.

My birthday is now complete.



2 comments:

  1. They have those "POP!" figures here, too. I've mostly seen them at Barnes & Noble; there's usually a big display of them. They have characters from a lot of different series' -- Disney movies, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Muppets, superheroes, Star Wars, etc. I have the WALL-E, but I'm kind of sad there's no Breaking Bad ones (yet?).

    - Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we were surprised when we saw we saw how big they were. they looked really small on the poster but ended up being the kind of thing people go to conventions to find. I need to checkout the Walking Dead ones.

      Delete