Friday, February 7, 2014

False Sense of Security

Americans tend to have this view that all Australians are easy-going surfer bum types. After my experiences getting started in Sydney, I couldn't disagree more.

Whether it's getting a phone contract, applying for a background clearance to work with kids, trying to transfer money between bank accounts, apply for a rental, or simply use a credit card, everything requires jumping through more hoops than it is in the states. I'm sure these things are all easier if you're a permanent citizen, but they really make things difficult sometimes, to a seemingly paranoid degree. Obviously there need to be some systems in place to keep people's information secure, but all this added "security" doesn't make me feel any safer. The added "security" just makes it more difficult for ordinary people to do what what they should be able to do. 

If I have to carry my passport around more regularly, it is more likely to get lost or stolen. The more I have to send companies and agencies a copy of my documents electronically, the more likely my information will be intercepted by a third party and then used without my knowledge. I don't give my private information to any company that is not a legitimate agency, but that being said, it's very easy to make a website or fake company look authentic. 

Just the fact that people are expected to have access to all these private documents in electronic form means that if someone were to simply gain access to my computer/phone/iPad, they could potentially have control of my documents and funds. Obviously I use passwords and passcodes, but it could happen somehow. 

Also, unless you already knew to scan every document you've ever needed before you came here, I don't know how they expect people who are new to the country to necessarily have access to scanners and faxes and all this technology. It just leads to these situations where in order to get A, you have give them B. In order to get B, you have to give them C. In order to have C, you have to give them A. 

It is very common to need a key fob to get into one's apartment building. This is normal in the states and here. However, here you also need the key fob to use the elevator, and it will only take you to your floor. On the one hand, this limits access so that only people authorized to be on a floor are the ones who live there and their immediate guests. On the other hand, forget about getting to know anyone on any other floor. I wonder if this added security has prevented as many crimes as benefits. It's just a new level of distrust that I am not used to. The company that has checked my background to approve that I live in this building does not trust me enough to give me access to most of the building. My neighbors don't trust me or want to know me. Not that I want to be everyone's best friend, but it's strange.

People don't bend the rules ever either, even in the name of common sense. The rule is the rule and you have to follow it exactly or your head will explode.

Okay, rant over. I have just had to deal with so many issues regarding security lately, it's driving me crazy. For all I know, people entering the US or other countries for the first time have to always deal with this kind of thing. 

Perhaps once our lives are finally set up and we have a normal day-to-day flow, we won't have to deal with this kind of thing very often. I'll forget how annoyed I was with all this.

If nothing else, all this makes me appreciate where I'm from a little more. Things are just easier and simpler at home.

Maybe my view of Australians will be restored after a weekend at surf camp, where we literally will be surrounded by easygoing beach bums. I hope it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment