Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Throwback Tuesday



Yesterday I taught third grade. There was a girl that looked incredibly familiar, and it took me half the day to figure out why. 

When I first moved here, and I was working at a long daycare/preschool, there were these half-Chinese/half-Caucasian twins that had two dads. When I checked the class roll again, I realized it was the girl twin I hadn't seen in about five years. 

I have been teaching in Australia long enough that the preschoolers I had are now showing up in my primary classrooms. The girl didn't remember me, which didn't surprise me, but it was weird to feel like I knew so much about her that she had no idea I knew. I also texted my friend who also taught her, and she was super happy and excited to hear an update. It's funny, the girl was exactly the, same temperamentally and personality-wise, just with more language and writing ability. She was still kind of quiet, yet social, and she was a copy-cat. Back in preschool it had been copying every activity her brother did. In third grade, she was copying the other kids at her table, writing her own zombie comic book after they had already started making their own. It's funny how some personality traits don't change, and it makes me realize that in five years, Penelope is going to be so much bigger and cognitively developed, and yet, still the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment