Monday, August 5, 2019

Let me tell you about the one person I knew who shouldn't have had a gun...



We had a nice weekend, getting to catch up with friends. 

Sadly, we heard about the news of more recent domestic terror attacks in the US. It's really disappointing that gun control legislation that passed in the house is actually physically sitting on Mitch McConnell's desk, and he will not bring it up for a vote in the House. 

I know a few gun owners. Most of them are law-abiding people. I say most because only one of them was not - he was paranoid and should have never owned a gun. He had never been caught for a crime before, so he passed whatever background check there was in the state of Virginia at the time. Literally, he thought the government was tracking his toll smartpass, kept the handgun in the glove compartment of his car, and occasionally talked about what he would do if someone made him angry on the road one day. He called it, "The power of God in your hand". Also, he was hooked on pharmaceutical drugs that probably affected his decision-making at times. I was not his friend, but knew him as an acquaintance through others. Believe me, I wish I had not known him or any of this. Anyway, I have not heard what became of him in the last 10+years. I hope he got help for his mental issues, and I hope he no longer has a gun, or access to drugs, but I have no idea. There is literally nothing I can do about it. That is a problem. I know I am not the only American that knows about some random unhinged person that has access a gun. And so, we wait. 

Sorry to be a downer, but current events are a downer, and we should be unhappy about them and make something change. Even those that don't believe gun access is the answer should fighting for access to better mental health care, doing research, helping strengthen their communities, and/or combatting hate. Too many people have thrown up their hands in the air too many times; they are now part of the problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment