Saturday, September 22, 2018

The News is Just Embarrassing Now



It's really incredible how many different ways the US has hit rock bottom in the last two years. I started listing several of the events, and then I just got too bummed out and deleted it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I am concerned for the future of the US. Thank goodness an election is right around the corner. 

I am so grateful to be living in Australia right now. I am grateful to hear different international perspectives on what's going on in the US, and to be looking in from the outside. No country is perfect, but most other countries are not having the same issues with the sheer abundance of violence, civil unrest, and growing inequality. 

It is still so beyond me, living in a country that guarantees healthcare for all, why anyone in the US is still fighting it. It's proven to cut costs and allow for a higher quality of care and quality of life. Period. 

It's beyond me why so many people are still fighting common sense gun laws. Again, every other developed nation in the world has come up with solutions to reduce the number of guns owned by private citizens with great success at reducing violence. Period. 

I'm tired of hearing the same arguments against common sense. I'm tired of hearing about the president's tweets that fall lower and lower below the dignity of the office he holds. 

It's really sad that the people in charge simply don't want to plan for the future of the country (IT'S THEIR JOB). If they don't want their job, I'd be happy to vote in people that are willing to do the work. Taking care of and improving things - to try to make the world a better place for the next generation - didn't used to be a radical idea. I know I definitely want to world to be a better place for Penelope when she grows up, but I can't think of too many ways that it will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment