Saturday, February 24, 2018

Video Killed the Radio Star



The thought occurred to me recently that there are no current good/well-known bands (at least none that I am aware of) that are putting out songs about all the weird stuff that is happening around the world, politically and in current events. It's possible that there are some out there, and maybe this is just a sign of my age and how I learned to acquire music when there was a different way to share and be into it (when there were actual physical stores where people would hangout and you'd find out what was coming out soon, and when you would make intentional mix tapes or CD's for friends, etc.). Anyway, the only example I can really think of in recent years was MIA's "Borders". Everything else that is out right now just seems to be the typical pop stuff about love and breakups and partying. Maybe it's just the long trough after a peak, since it kind of goes up and down - the 60's and 70's gave us a lot of politically inspired music, then the 80's were a lot of pop, and then 90's and early 2000's music was more socially and politically driven again. It just feels like we're long overdue for some substantive musical commentary again. 

It anyone has recommendations of new stuff that is good along the lines of what I'm talking about, I'm all ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment