Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Phantom Thread



I went and saw Phantom Thread last night with two friends. I'm happy there is a new Palace Cinemas a ten minute walk away - they show a lot of foreign and independent films - and you can watch your movie eating a fancy charcuterie plate and wine, if you so desire. As a promo this week, they have been doing $5 tickets for movies that were nominated for big awards. When I first started going to the movies with friends, movies were $4, instead of $20+. Those were the days.

(Spoiler Alert) Anyway, what can I say about Phantom Thread? Somewhat predictably, Daniel Day Lewis plays a wierdo/overly particular jerk/fashion genius. That much you can tell from the trailers. Then the end of the movie takes a masochistic turn that none of us could foresee. That turn? He finds out he is being occasionally poisoned by his wife and likes it, and it saves their relationship. He likes getting violently ill every once in a while and then having her nurse him back to health. Um... what? It was a unique ending, I'll give it that. For the most part, I enjoyed watching it - it was a pretty movie, and it's not really like anything else out there. But... what? I guess I just can't relate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment