Sunday, May 7, 2017

Colossal


We saw Colossal this weekend at Govinda's, and I enjoyed it. It had a unique premise, it was funny, and took an unexpected turn or two. I went to see it not having seen the trailer, while Michael had seen it, and I think that made it slightly more enjoyable for me when there were some surprises. 

I have a friend that said she wanted to see it at first, but then heard it was "domestic violence-y", so she changed her mind. While there is an issue that the protagonist deals with having to do with a male being violent with her, the violence and the violent character aren't shown in a glorifying light. I won't give anything away, but the female protagonist does find a way to deal with that character. So, I disagree with my friend's reasoning. 

Having worked at a video store, I have seen some of the strangest movies out there. It makes me happy, in a time where movie studios just keep literally trying to remake old hits, when I see something fresh and different.

No comments:

Post a Comment