Saturday, March 25, 2017

Missing Richard Simmons



This week I have been listening to the NPR podcast, "Missing Richard Simmons", and I am loving it. I blew through the first episodes and only have one more to go, and it's really rare that I'll get through that much of one podcast in one week. 

First off, I just want to give a little more praise to my beloved NPR, for continuing to produce thought-provoking content of substance. They ask questions and incite you to ask questions of what you have experienced, think, and believe. It can be a nice break from all the political and disaster coverage of late, and the idolization of famous people we see in the tabloids and magazines. NPR often follows lesser-known stories about lesser-thought-of people, or scientific, philosophical, or ethical issues. 

Since a lot of my thoughts are summed up in the link above, I won't repeat most of the same stuff. I just love that the podcast examines the idea of how people feel like they know a celebrity, and whether they really do or not. It explores how unique Richard was as an icon. Most people think of him as an eccentric, silly fitness fanatic, but he literally saved some of his fans' lives by giving them very personal hope and encouragement to get through tough times. One of the questions the host asks again and again is, "Did he owe these people anything?", or was it fine that he built up this need in people for him, and then disappeared? Was it his okay for him to do that? The podcast explores how much Richard gave of himself, and how he would literally cry at almost all of his classes because what he was doing was so important to him, and how he felt about himself and about helping people. So, in some ways it was a two way street; he really needed all the people to need him.

I think these questions that come up about Richard can also be asked about the everyday relationships we have non-famous people throughout our lives. My friend who recommended the podcast to me said that it in some ways sums up how she feels about being a teacher and I can definitely relate to that sometimes. I imagine it could be the same way for doctors as well, from what my friends in the medical profession have told me. When you do a job where you are needed so much and so intensely sometimes, at the end of the day sometimes you need to feel not needed and to just disappear for an hour and let your emotions return to baseline. It makes you think, "How well do I really know the people I think I know?", and the nature of your relationships that are based on needs (isn't that most relationships, whether one-sided or mutual?).

Kudos, NPR!  

No comments:

Post a Comment