Friday, October 16, 2015

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Today I gave a little kindergartner a hard time when he threw his sandwich away at lunch and immediately wanted to go by an ice pop. Ultimately, I gave him a talking to about how he shouldn't just throw his food away; he could get an ice pop this time, but next time he needed to save his sandwich so his parents could at least see that he didn't eat it. The rest of the day progressed as normal, but when his mom came to pick him up he started crying to her and acted like he was some kind of victim. Here is the paraphrased conversation I had with the mother:

(I explained what happened and that I what I had told him)
The mom: I don't care if he eats his sandwich. Maybe he doesn't want to eat it.

Me: Well usually I tell kids to save the food they don't eat so their parents can see what they didn't eat.

The mom: Well, I don't care about that.

Me: Okay. I know that the teacher has set the precedent that kids eat their healthy food before they eat junk food.

The mom: My son doesn't eat junk food.

Me: He wanted to buy an ice pop.

The mom: Oh, that's just an ice pop!

Me: Well, the issue was resolved and he did get his ice pop; (to the child) have a nice weekend, buddy!

How I wanted to end the conversation instead...

Me (smiling the entire time, of course): Now I understand why your son is the most obese one in his grade! Growing boys really do thrive when they ingest only sugar. Although I'm so glad we had this conversation so I can understand how different our expectations are for children, your child does not deserve different rules than the other children. Bye!

Lady, if you don't care if your son eats healthy or not, fine. He can grow up with you continuing to overfeed him unhealthy things and it will not affect me for the most part. I have just honestly never had a parent react like that when it comes to their kid and their eating habits; usually it's the polar opposite reaction. 

All I can say is, I'm glad it's the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment