Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Teeny Tiny White Thing





One minute you're trucking along, totally normal, going about your day. The next minute, "Ahhhh, get this microscopic stabbing thing out of my eye!" That was me Monday. I was taking a shower around 5pm and all of a sudden I felt something in my eye. I've dealt with this about a thousand times before, so I did the usual stuff. Since I was in the shower I flushed my eye a little with water, I closed my eye and moved it around, I tried to flush my eye with eyedrops, and I even held a hot compress on it after a half hour of other things not working. Eventually it came down to, "If I don't take a cab to the nearby clinic in the next few minutes, the clinic will close and I may have to deal with this pain all night". I also didn't want to damage and irritate my eye any further than it already was in my attempts.

It's a good thing I got to the clinic five minutes before it was about to close. The first doctor couldn't get it out. The second was able to get the teeny tiny white thing off my cornea my after numbing my eye and using a device that was essentially a pin; if he hadn't been able to get it out I would have had to go to the hospital. Apparently this mysterious white thing had lodged itself into my cornea, and it was scratching up the inside of my eyelid for the last hour. 

Now my eye is on the mend and I have some eyedrops to keep it from getting infected. The whole ordeal of going to the clinic and then getting a prescription only took about an hour and I was still able to make it to trivia only five minutes late. 

Beware of teeny tiny white things, though. They strike when you're least expecting it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment