Monday, July 27, 2015

Sick Day

I took a much-needed sick day today since I have no voice, and you kind of need a voice to teach. Not to mention, my sinuses were also horribly clogged and uncomfortable this morning. Usually if I have a day where I'm not working, I try to be as productive as I can. Not today - my goal was mainly to have as few human interactions as possible so I could rest my voice. I did a little bit of cooking and cleaning and finally watched the rest of The Theory of Everything. I suppose it's good I waited until a time that I could relate to not being able to talk, not that my day of little talking at all compares to not being able to speak or move most of one's body for the rest of one's life, but nonetheless it makes you think. 

It is nice to be able to take a sick day when I need to. Obviously I want to work as many days as I can so I don't miss out on earning money. If I need a day, though, it's nice to not need to get it approved by a supervisor, find someone to replace myself, or feel guilty that I'm leaving a team short-staffed. At my old workplace here they required all staff to bring in a doctor's note for any sick leave taken, which is a tad overboard on the how-little-do-you-trust-your-employees scale. 

Time for some weekly trivia. I'll bring a little notepad and pen so I don't undo the improvement to my vocal cords. 

No comments:

Post a Comment