Friday, July 24, 2015

More, please

You may recall I posted a while back about Michael training our cats to do tricks. The two tricks they can do when properly motivated are high-five and meerkat (standing on hind legs). If they don't see a reward at this point, they couldn't care less. Michael also started teaching Ninja how to sit, but we'll see if that one takes. 

Earlier I was eating some chips and dip. Eve was staring up at me me and high-fived my foot to get my attention, as if to say, "I'm here. Give me a chance to earn one. I'm high-fiving you. Give me one. Pleeeeeaaasssse." So I put my hand down and said, "high five" and she did it to earn a chip. We did that a few times and it was good times. She usually does this now when I'm eating chips. I suppose I can't think of better way of being able to tell whether or not training has worked - the animal initiating the trick when they see a reward they want. It's kind of like she only knows one word in sign language, and it only applies in one specific situation. It's still better than most cats, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment