Friday, February 13, 2015

The Casual Queen

...And I don't mean a blasé monarch. 

I survived my first day as a primary school casual teacher, aka substitute, in a year five and six classroom today, and over all it went pretty well, if I do say so myself. 

I also signed up to take an RSA (responsible service of alcohol) certification class next week so that it will be much easier for me to get casual waitressing work (at conferences and things like that) to supplement my other two casual jobs when their hours are in short supply. Yes, you need a certification in this country to be a waitress. Yes, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Where else in the world do they make people do that? A certification can't make someone a good waiter or waitress; experience can. Also, I don't know how the class can possibly take 6 1/2 hours. That's two times longer than my CPR course. It takes longer to tell someone how to hand another person some food and/or drinks than to save their life.

Soon enough I will go from having two jobs to having three. The downside is that the hours are unstable and everything is different from one week to the next right now. The upside is flexibility and variety. Hopefully over time I'll develop relationships with the core schools I'll sub for, and that will get easier. My team-building job is fun and will get easier once I have more events under my belt too. Waitressing I've done before and is pretty fun and simple usually. 

So that's the update to my work situation. It's not glamorous, but it suits me for now. Just call me the casual queen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment