Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Elite Freelance Food Critic

Flashback to 10 years ago when I was discussing careers with a few friends. We joked that we could just always introduce ourselves the title of "Freelance Food Critic" even if we were unemployed. It doesn't mean anybody cares what you say about the food you eat, but you have an opinion. 

Flash forward to about a year ago. Before we moved abroad I wrote occasional Yelp reviews for restaurants we went to. When we moved to Sydney, I noticed that less people use it here; I think more people use Urban Spoon and Trip Advisor. I decided it was my duty to review most of the places where I eat on Yelp, for those who already use Yelp and travel or move here and also get frustrated trying to find a good, reasonably priced meal without having to download another app. I half did this for those people, and half just for myself to remind myself of places I would like to bring future visitors. So, maybe once a week or every other week we'd try a new place and I'd write a review. A few people read my reviews and left little comments saying they liked them or found them helpful. 

Flash forward to last week when I was sent an invitation to join the Yelp Elite. I did not know this was a thing. The Yelp Elite: Sydney (most of the major cities in the world have their own groups) is a real group that gets invited to exclusive tastings and food events. There are articles that have tips on how to try to become Yelp Elite, but they insist there is no magic formula. Apparently some people write hundreds of reviews and never get picked. I guess if the right person sees your reviews and likes them, and you're moderately active on the site, you have an in. 

Flash forward to today: I am officially an elite member with a little stamp on my profile. Supposedly I have some sunglasses and a water bottle coming to me in the mail. I suppose it's the least they can since I provide them free quality content for their website. I definitely want to check out some of these secret events, if they ever have one on a day I don't already have plans. 

I may not be successful at all of my endeavors, but I think I can actually say that I have successfully and unironically earned the title of Freelance Food Critic.

1 comment: