Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Casual Queen Update

I actually got two more casual jobs today and had to turn down one; it's a nice position to be in for a change. For those of you keeping track at home, I now have three jobs.

The one I turned down was kind of a backup to the other stuff I'm doing, and probably wasn't going to lead into something bigger in the future. It would have been okay, but in the long run I think it would have interfered with me getting other substitute teaching gigs because of the way they do their scheduling.

The new organization I'll be working for facilitates regular workshops for teens that combine soccer/sports skills with important life skills (aka "21st century skills" - for example, conflict resolution). The kids are primarily from immigrant populations and the program helps them get acclimated to their new culture. In case you don't know me that well, this is right up my alley. It's also a small organization, so there may be other opportunities that come out of facilitating.

So that's the update. It's interesting because I am halfway through doing the exercises in What Color is Your Parachute?, and so far they have worked. This book was recommended to me years and years ago, and I read parts of it, but never went through it cover to cover. Now that I am going through it I have a much better idea of what to look for and what to stay away from, in terms of my personal preferences. This most recent organization fits a lot of the criteria I came up with and I didn't even know it existed until a frisbee acquaintance told me about it. Now, if only there was one full-time job that fit my criteria, instead of 3 part-time ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment