Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Mood Indigo/L'écume des jours

I've been a fan of film director Michel Gondry for several years. I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Science of Sleep, Be Kind Rewind, Block Party, and countless music videos he's done. 

I just watched Mood Indigo, and it was by far the strangest work I've seen of his. At times in the beginning it was whimsical and strangely humorous, and then it starts to drag on a little bit and literally grow dark and the colors turn drab. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars for its uniqueness, but I think it's just so visually outlandish that the story only loosely connects throughout the whole film. Also, I like how the mood of the film and imagery changed from the beginning to the end as the characters struggle more, but I find it hard to find the meaning in it. Is it just to be depressing, or is there more to it than that?

If anybody else has seen it and wants to share their thoughts, I'm all ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment