Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Breaking the Fourth Wall


Any teacher will usually tell you that you have to start strict with kids at the beginning, and then slowly ease up on your expectations of them over time. This is particularly true for substitutes; your day will be so much easier if you start the day as the boss in the classroom, and then end the day more lightheartedly. If you start too soft, you might never earn their respect or attention because they won't think it matters. Sometimes I feel like I have to act in a somewhat scripted manner, using words and phrases that their other teachers use regularly, even though they aren't words I would often use. It's almost a conditioned response, where the kids respond quicker to a familiar phrase than to a synonymous phrase because they don't have to really process what I have said. One of those key words I throw in often now is "sensible" or "sensibly". Aussie kids are often told to do something in a sensible way. I'd never say sensible in America unless I was talking about making a choice or something like that - not to describe a person or an action. But, I've noticed when I use that particular word, the kids are used to hearing it and they literally change the way they sit and look at me.

Anyway... today I was at one of my favorite schools where I rarely get to go. They don't often call the temp company that helps place me because they usually have their own subs, so they usually just call in situations where they are in a bind or need more subs than usual. I was placed a third grade class, and those can be hit or miss. Some are good, but usually by that age they have learned from experience that having a sub usually means they can get away with things, so they test you to see how much you will let them get away with. They will do this early and often, and it usually only gets worse the higher the grade. 

My third grade class today was exceptional, though. They weren't little perfect angels or anything, but when I started talking, they got quiet. When I explained something, they listened and asked insightful questions, so I didn't have to say the same thing 10 times. I could joke around with them, and they could joke around with me, but then get back to what they were doing (as opposed to just going off-track or taking something too far). They were really sharp and quick-witted, and they didn't take it personally if someone made a little joke about them. For example, some boy called out, "Are you married?" (because I write my name on the board as "Mrs." but look younger than kids usually think I am, they ask me this A LOT). Without missing a beat, another little boy calls out to the other boy, "Why, you looking for a date?". And everyone laughed for a second, but then we just kept on with the discussion. Some kids might get really embarrassed getting that kind of attention at that age, but these kids seemed to get that a joke doesn't mean someone is necessarily making fun of you, and they took everything lightly. 

They didn't whinge when I told them what they needed to do; they just did it. It was a total 180 from a lot of the classrooms where I end up. When they were finished with their work, some of them wanted to do more and write their own stories, instead of finding a way to goof off. The other great thing about this class was that they looked out for each other. For example, one boy reminded this girl that she had to go to her music lesson at the right time, so she wouldn't forget. It was very innocent and cute. This might not sound like a big deal, but I spend a lot of time getting some kids to show the tiniest amount of courtesy to others because some can be really defensive or not have much empathy. 

Perhaps my experience with this class is more telling of the other classes I have to teach, if these are the moments I take note of. In any case, it was an enjoyable day to be with a class that had so much personality, and I got to share a little bit of my unscripted self. Not to mention, one of the boys had a birthday and I got a big, delicious homemade M&M cookie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment