Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Swiss Army Man





Having worked at a video store in my youth, I have seen a lot of weird movies over the years. Last night we watched Swiss Army Man, and I can confidently say it is up here among the weirdest. It's the story of Hank (played by Paul Dano), who is marooned on a dessert island when he finds a flatulating corpse (played by Daniel Radcliffe) that washes up on the shore. Hank finds a way to harness the corpse's flatulence in order for them to escape the island, and that's in the first few minutes, and then it only gets more bizarre. I cannot emphasize that it enough - it gets really, really strange.

I have to say, I enjoyed it. It was completely unique and unlike anything else I'd ever seen. It was whimsical, crass at times, and the characters' friendship that develops is actually kind of cute. "The whole time you're watching, you're wondering "Is this really happening? Is this in this character's head? Is there some weird twist that's going to happen?". I won't give anything away, but some questions are answered by the end. 

If you're looking for a macabre, surreal, buddy comedy, check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment