Tuesday, June 28, 2016

House Stark






Everybody in the Northern Hemisphere is posting all these lovely photos on Instagram and Facebook, sitting on their patios drinking a beer or going for a hike enjoying the fresh air because they are just loving the weather.

For about 9 or 10 months of the year our weather is as nice as the weather everyone else is having right now. For us, though, it is the short sliver of time that it is actually cold and we must endure the fact that no buildings have proper heating systems. If I'm lucky, I end up in a classroom with an ancient gas heater (but we have to crack the windows or we will all die), a wall unit air-conditioner that can pump out warm air, or a tiny space heater. At the apartment, I have two or three blankets piled on me when I'm sitting around or sleeping, and we pump our little space heater. Eve risks getting kicked in her sleep to sleep on/near my legs. Less social stuff is happening because nobody wants to stand around on the beach in a down jacket.

Despite how it may sound, I am someone who generally enjoys the winter season. I will always be a winter baby at heart, even though my last two Februaries have fallen in summer. Anyway, enjoy it while you can, folks. The solstice has come and gone, and we will be moving on to warmer and longer days soon enough.

Also, the last two episodes of this season of Game of Thrones - awesome, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment