Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Familiar Face in a New Place

I got a call this morning to sub at a school nearby. The first questions was, "Are you available today?", yes. The second question was, "Have you ever taught Dance before?", to which my reply was nervous laughter. Flash forward to halfway through an unsuccessful game of Freeze Dance with kindergartners, trying to play music on my phone. My class became more like Drama combined with indoor recess. I'm not sure how I was supposed to teach Dance without any way to play music other than my phone. Anyway, I kept all the classes occupied, which is what matters on day three of the worst storm in recent years (as an aside, if cyclone-grade wins are recorded fairly consistently during a storm, doesn't that make that storm a cyclone?!). Then, halfway through the day I ended up being asked to float around and cover a 6th grade class here and a 1st grade class there. At one point I had a class but then the Italian teacher walked in and declared it was time for the children to learn Italian even though everyone was confused, including me. It was was certainly the most disjointed day of teaching I've had yet, which is not necessarily bad, but it's not ideal.

I saw a familiar face in one of my classes: Will. He had been a regular at the daycare center I worked at for a few months last year, and had since moved up to kindergarten. He is one of those kids that has a great attitude and is helpful and friendly to everyone. He's one of those kids that is mature beyond his years and creates order in the other kids around him. He is the kind of kid you want to see when you're substitute. So, as he does, he helped me organize that class, which that made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment