Friday, September 29, 2017

My Fair Lady


Last night I went with a friend who got cheap, last-minute tickets, to see My Fair Lady at the Capitol Theatre. I didn't expect it, since it's just a normal, boxy-looking brick building from the outside, but inside the theatre is gorgeous. In addition, the sets were exceptional. I would definitely go back and see another play there - good value for sure. 






As for the play itself, I had seen it and the movie years ago. I went into it remembering it as kind of a sexist play with a few good songs. This time around as an adult, I thought about it more dynamically, having a little more empathy for Eliza Doolittle's choice at the end. She can't really go back to the life she knew, the guy that adores her is kind of a "wet blanket" (as my friend called him) that doesn't bring a lot to the table other than his feelings for her, and the other guy is kind of a jerk but at least they light a fire in each other sometimes. She doesn't have any good choices in this time period, really. I don't think of it as sexist anymore, but more it highlights the sexism that existed at the time. This particular play had many false endings - they could have ended it after any of the five last scenes and each one would have left the audience with a completely different focus and feeling. 

I always loved the song, "On the Street Where You Live", but never really thought of how pathetic it is in the context of the play. It's sweet because, "Ooh, this guy really likes her so much that he just gets so excited knowing he's near where she lives and spends most of her time". But then it's also lame because, "This guy has nothing better to do than hang around on a doorstep for someone who may or may not show up? Why isn't he out bettering himself or society or something? ...Anything? Doesn't he have any hobbies? Why can't he just come back later?".




Anyway, overall it was nice to re-visit a familiar story in a new setting, and have more in-depth discussion about it than I did when I was 12. 

No comments:

Post a Comment