Friday, September 29, 2017

Hef


If you've heard/read the news lately, you probably know that Hugh Hefner has died at the age of 91. I feel like The Onion was sitting on this article for a long time, just waiting. Hugh had a larger-than-life, inflated persona that was pretty much synonymous with his lavish mansion and eccentric lifestyle. But, to me, he always struck me as a sad, insecure, old man. If you read his wiki page, or other info about him, he was apparently devastated by his first wife cheating on him, and all the other Playboy lifestyle stuff seemed to come along after that to try to help heal his bruised ego. In a way, he probably has that experience to thank for his success, but it's a double-edged sword. 

It also seemed like all the flings, relationships, engagements, and marriages that followed weren't of any real substance. He probably didn't know if the people that were hanging out with him all the time really liked him for him, and they probably didn't. They just wanted to hangout in his awesome mansion and live that lifestyle. How lonely to be surrounded by so many people, but nobody who really knows the real you or cares about you, or even if they do it's hard to know if they really do. I am obviously inferring a lot here - I am by no means an expert on the man.

I wasn't particularly a fan, but I didn't dislike him either. I have no strong feelings on either end of the spectrum. I just find him an interesting case study. Like any stranger who dies, I have no reason to wish him anything but to rest in peace. I hope his exotic animals will all go to good homes or zoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment