Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Quadrant II


After a slew of ultimate frisbee tournaments, I realized I hadn't taken even a season off the sport in more years than I can remember. Even when I've slowed down, I've always still at least gone to pickup. So, I decided to take this winter season off and get more out of the gym membership I already pay for. I'm going to yoga a lot more, which is a nice change of pace. I used to really hate yoga because I'm not a still person, but I've come to enjoy it lately. I also do some of the cardio and short resistance-training classes. I kind of miss the more social aspect of frisbee, but we still hangout with a lot of those people off the field too, so it's alright. If I ever miss it so much, I can start back up again whenever I want. There is no lack of opportunities to play several days throughout the week, even in the colder months.

While American kids have started their summer vacation, the Aussie kids are enjoying winter break; it's kind of the halfway mark during their school year. This means work has slowed down for me after being quite busy. I'm doing some extra workouts, getting dentist appointments and errands in, and handling domestic stuff. I think Michael is sometimes surprised that I don't plan more activities during the time I'm off work, because he thinks he would feel bored if he were in the same position. Perhaps he is not familiar with Parkinson's Law. I really use this time to catch up on the things I don't have time or energy to do when I'm dealing with other people's kids all day. They might be boring and non-urgent things like giving the apartment an extra clean or re-organizing some drawers, but they are important quadrant II activities that make me feel less stress in the long run. 

Cooking extra meals to freeze for the future nights when I can't be bothered doesn't sound very exciting or cool to other people, but it makes me happy. It's like I'm saying, "Hey, future Ronny, I know you've had a long day, I'm going to cook you dinner! Sit back and relax". Then future Ronny opens up the package from the past, pops it in the oven or microwave, and then enjoys a delicious home-cooked meal requiring little effort and says, "Hey past Ronny, you're the best". It's the closest I may ever ever get to time-travel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment