Friday, January 29, 2016

Normal

The cats are somewhat particular about the canned cat food they usually like. Specifically, they like "gravy lovers" flavors that have chunks of meat, as opposed to the more blended flavors. I've narrowed it down to three regular kinds I regularly get, the seafood lovers, beef feast in gravy, and chicken fillet in gravy. 

I find myself occasionally trying to sneak in another random flavor every other week or so. I don't know what I imagine is going to happen when serve them this different food. Trial and error has already led me to the three flavors they love consistently. Best case scenario: maybe we'll discover a new food they'll love and then there will be four kinds I can buy, as if that would be an achievement. 

The cats' lack of desire for variety clearly bothers me more than it bothers them. I would hate to eat one of three things for almost every meal for the rest of my life. They would be perfectly happy with that, plus a table scrap of chicken or a tortilla chip every once in a while. 

So why do I find the need to buy the occasional different can of food? Why do I impose my human idea of being a "foodie" on them when there will never be any notable result? I don't have some witty answer for this, I really have no idea. I suppose it's not much weirder than the fact that I talk to the cats on a regular basis too. Pet ownership really makes some strange behaviors seem acceptable and normal... maybe to just the pet owner, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment