Thursday, September 19, 2019

Be SMART


The Sandy Hook Promise is getting a lot of coverage and shares at the moment because of their shocking commercial. I have no particular comments about the commercial, but I have two main issues with the promise

One - I think it's really easy for people to sign the promise and feel like they are doing something without actually doing anything. 

Two - I'm all for communities trying to be proactive to prevent violence, but I don't like any programs or ideas that could turn into victim-blaming. 

I don't know first-hand about the program they are promoting, but it sounds like it is about promoting awareness about signs to watch for. I am skeptical of a program that places the responsibility of violence on the people that the violence is committed against, and not the perpetrator. Yes, people should be aware of warning signs. In several cases though, people have been aware that a person was violent, and even tried to act. Because of the laws in place or other factors, a dangerous person was still able to gain access to weapons. Also, often the people that are victims didn't know the violent person, and they are literally innocent bystanders that couldn't have noticed previous signs. 

I think the promise walks the middle of the road so that it can get support from both sides, politically, but that's also why I don't imagine any concrete change will come from it. I'm sure people mean well if they are signing up for the promise, but that's not really the issue.


I prefer the Be SMART campaign. It actually makes people aware of a real thing they can do that could prevent gun violence or accidents - having conversations with others about gun safety. So, I would promote that over making any promise. Actions always speak louder than words. 





No comments:

Post a Comment