Saturday, April 28, 2018

Isle of Dogs







Michael and I tag-teamed watching Penelope today, and I was able to go see Isle of Dogs. Just like every other Wes Anderson movie, I enjoyed it. It's an idiosyncratic work of art. It sticks to his usual, character-driven, split-into-sections, kind of format. I enjoyed the little ironies, like the pack of alpha dogs that tries to vote on their decisions. I enjoyed the visual use of Japanese-inspired patters. I love that Yoko Ono had a small voiced part, along with a lot of the typical people that appear in Anderson films. 

I read something criticizing the film for having limited female characters. Those that were in the films didn't have a huge role in the plot development. While this is sort of true, and Anderson's stuff typically has more main male characters than female ones, and doesn't always pass the Bechdel test, I forgive him. It's about time he does something with more female characters for sure - I'd really like to see what he might come up with. Maybe the next film?

For once, I really feel like I caught up on what our friends here call "life admin". I was able to some chores and errands done today and fit in a movie, on top of doing a lot of the usual stuff with Penelope. I don't feel exhausted. And, I wrote a blog post about something other than mostly her. I win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment