Saturday, August 20, 2016

The teacher becomes the student, who then becomes the teacher again. The vicious cycle continues.


Last night I went to a yoga class with a friend at a new studio I hadn't been to before. The yoga instructor was talking about how it's the end of another moon cycle and how we should reflect on the last month and what we have learned.

I struggled to think, in words, of what I have learned in the last month. However, I know I have learned and progressed. In the last month I have spent time in seven different US states and one Australian one. I got to visit with and make memories with my extended in-laws and know them better. I met my good friend's baby and see how my friend has changed now that she has become a mom. At yoga, my shoulder stands are straighter. By definition, the facts that I learned going to trivia are not important, but they are little pieces of new info that are floating around somewhere in my brain, possibly to be helpfully recalled at a future time. I have officially hosted an AGM (annual general meeting) for my frisbee club. I have had more teaching facilitating experiences that have informed how I communicate instructions in the future. I participated in the Australian census for the first time. I've learned that even though the internet says you can clean your skin with an apple cider vinegar solution, it makes my skin angry. I've learned that the noisy miner in park on the way to the train station doesn't only like to swoop on us in the morning hours.

None of these things are particularly important on their own. I didn't have any epiphanies. Little bits of progress make up the bulk of life experience, though. So, maybe that's what I learned. What did you learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment