Friday, March 11, 2016

Karma Chameleon


Today I worked at a private school I have been to many times before. In general, this school is not the best (in terms of many measures), although there are a few redeeming kids and some staff I enjoy talking to. I was on a particularly rotten 2nd grade class today - spoiled, entitled, rude, know-it-all kids who were mostly behind in all the subjects in their grade because the majority of them don't care about their education. Those that don't care take away all the time and energy from their teachers so the teachers have less time and energy to actually teach and get through to the ones who are listening. These kids are this way because of a combination of factors that I don't care to go into, although one obvious one is pervasive sexism in the community, which makes it harder the for boys to respect their female teachers. It's an unfortunate set of circumstances that are mostly out of my control, other than how I act than when I am with them which has little longterm impact. I have accepted this. I went to work, did my job, and I'll get paid. The kids will be in for a rude awakening that I won't be around to witness. 

I'd rather spend more time talking about another private school I worked at this week that was exceptional in many ways. Most of the children in the 2nd grade class here were well-behaved and genuinely seemed to enjoy the different challenges, activities, and interactions throughout the day. They got so much out of every activity, they were helpful to me and to each other, and I could trust them to do what they said they were going to do if they needed to leave the room. I don't think it's a coincidence that the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is really incorporated into the curriculum from an early age at this school, and that these kids appear to be successful learners at a young age. They already have aspirations to be writers, musicians, artists, etc., and actively work on their skills. Most of these kids will likely continue to thrive and become successful at future endeavors because they are confident in their abilities and have very good social skills. I also don't think it's a coincidence that this is a community that not only encourages tolerance of different beliefs, backgrounds, abilities, attitudes, and ways of life, but it will not condone those who do not act tolerantly and kindly. This school was a pleasure to work at, and I'm networking to get more days at this school.

I think back and wonder what teachers thought of my particular year of students as we travelled through the grades. I was usually well-behaved and liked by my teachers, but there were certainly some teachers who would have said my contemporaries were like the first group I mentioned. I like to think I turned out okay education-wise, so maybe many of those in the former group will turn out okay despite the challenges that they, themselves, make for themselves with their poor communication skills and negative attitudes. 

Anyway, I guess the point that I'd like to highlight is that people (particularly children, because they are self-centered) don't always think about the things that happen to them as direct results to what they put out to the world. It's karma. If you're negative to others, they will be negative (or at least not positive) back, and then you reap what you sew. All kids deserve a good positive start, but that doesn't mean they all get one. Some of their parents allow bad manners and negative ways of thinking to perpetuate. Some try, but don't know what to do. I do what I can to educate all the kids whether they have positive or negative attitudes, but I can't undo years of reinforced attitudes and behaviors in one day. 

On the flip side, I really do believe the work I did with the good kids had a positive effect on them, however small compared to the other positivity in their lives. Perhaps they will go on to change the world in big and small ways and spread all their happy thoughts. 

To be clear, I'm not suggesting all kids need to be gung-ho about learning or super positive all day every day. I just think that they should be brought up with a general positive attitude towards education and learning, and should be taught to equate becoming educated with having more options in their future. There will be days where they aren't motivated, times where they will not be as interested in one subject or another, times where something will be hard to think through, but that's not a reason to just completely give up or act like an asshole. 

Four out of five teaching days were really great this week; it's a bummer to end on a low point, but what can you do. I'm closing the door to this week and leaving it behind; no more thinking about teaching for a few days. Time to enjoy my weekend! I will be cheering on Michael's frisbee team from afar as they compete at Regionals in Canberra.

No comments:

Post a Comment