Sunday, October 26, 2014

October = Spring

This weekend has been pretty quiet. Michael was finally able to complete his Advanced SCUBA certification. He had been signed up three previous times, but they had all been cancelled due to the instructor getting sick or weather conditions. It's probably a good thing it got postponed all the way from winter to spring anyway, so he didn't freeze. 

Our frisbee team had a little end of season get together at Bronte Beach. Michael earned the title of MVP Male, and I got runner up in the "Most Casual Player" category. It has been an enjoyable season, but it will be nice to have our weekends back for a while. 

Today I actually went to the Rocks Market  while it was happening - not when they were setting up or breaking everything down, like all the other previous times I'd been there. I discovered the Super Bee store, which is pretty awesome. I tried a sparkling honey drink and couldn't help but buy some Tasmanian leatherwood honey, which has a little kick to it.  Quick fact: unlike North America and Europe, Australia is unaffected by colony collapse disorder.

On Sundays, public transportation is essentially free if you own an Opal card (like a SmartTrip card) If you take a certain number of rides during the week, I think it's eight, everything after that is free. If you haven't reached that number of rides there's some maximum amount you'll be charged on Sundays, I think $2 something. For some reason a lot of locals have held out as long as they possibly can before getting Opal cards; I guess they're afraid of change. In reality, it's cheaper and easier than continuing to use the disposable ones. I could just go ride ferries around all day on Sunday if I wanted for really cheap or free. 

Another weekend is winding down as the warm weather sets in. I wish Sydney had an equivalent to Markoff's Haunted Forest, our favorite seasonal place to go at home this time of year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment