Saturday, January 9, 2021

The Bar Keeps Dropping Lower



 I think everyone is still processing the news from two days ago. While this was not a true surprise, because there were lots of signs that something violent was ultimately going to happen, it was still shocking to see how easy it was for our Capitol building to be overrun by people who weren't particularly clever or cunning. Even though a small number have been arrested, it just seems that there has been little consequence for their grotesque actions. I continue to feel disgust that this happened in our country. I keep hearing sentiments like, "This is not who we are". This is exactly who we are, and that's precisely why it is so disappointing and embarassing. 

All of this has happened in the midst of a deadly pandemic that grows worse by the day. The vaccines rollout has been botched, which isn't a surprise considering how the country has handled the whole pandemic.

The US country is truly at a low point that keeps getting lower. January 20 cannot come soon enough. 

The night of the riot, I decided to eat vegemite toast for my evening snack. It's times like these that I remind myself of my Australian-ness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment