Saturday, April 6, 2019

Revisiting GOT, Upcoming Retreat, Admirers, and Daylight Savings



To prepare or the final season of GOT, we are rewatching these specifically curated episodes (as recommended to us by Michael's parents). We are only a few episodes in, but so far they are a really great run-through of the main plot points over time. I'm getting psyched for more dragons and white walkers.

I am also getting psyched up (in a more mellow way?) about going to Billabong Retreat soon. I will just be spending one night away, but it will be my first night away since having the little peanut. I'm really looking forward to delicious, organic, vegetarian meals and tasting all the yummy teas they have. Relaxing in the pool, some yoga, and maybe a nature walk will be nice. But most importantly: the sleep. I don't even remember the last night I slept in a room by myself for a whole night. I have no regrets about the fact that we have decided to make a one-bedroom apartment work with a baby; we still see it as temporary until we acquire citizenship and can make plans to move. We didn't want to move to a larger place, and then have to move again a few months later. I also have no regrets that I have breastfed Penelope, despite the fact that breastfed babies just wake up more throughout the night than formula-fed babies. But, oh my goodness, the thought of getting an uninterrupted night of sleep sounds like such a luxury. I'm fairly sure I will wake up throughout the night anyway because I am just so used to it, but hopefully I'll just be able to get back to sleep. Anyway, I consider this very short retreat to be a celebration, of sorts. I'm celebrating that Penelope is now more than big enough that she should be okay without me attending to most of her needs for 24 hours. Michael has been able to go away for two weeks here, one week there, one weekend there, etc., for work and frisbee tournaments over the last many months. This one night is my little getaway where I won't have to worry about anything. No cooking, cleaning, dirty diapers, broken dishwasher, or cats whining for food. Mike and Pen have been just having a blast together lately, so I think it'll be fun for them to have this time to do whatever they want together. 

Since Penelope and I are out and about in the neighbourhood quite a lot, there are lots of people that recognise her. It's funny, because multiple people have told me when they see Pen in public with Michael, usually at the train station on the way to daycare, they want to say hi to her but don't know Mike that well and feel weird about coming up to them. I tell them to go up and say hi anyway. Our social butterfly already has [friendly and innocuous] admirers around town.

It's finally starting to feel like autumn. Tonight we "fall back" with daylight savings, aka getting-confused-about-what-time-to-call-family-overseas-time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment